Sign In / Sign Out
Navigation: ASU Universal
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges & Schools
- Map & Locations
To improve in-depth preparation and retention of future physics teachers at ASU, we integrate both recruitment and retention with actual preparation at ASU. Our paradigm is that teacher education is a continuum – it begins with recruitment and progresses through in-field tested pedagogy and continues with content training.
With interactive activities for prospective, pre-service, and new teachers with experienced teachers, our model integrates students into their professional teaching community from the very start.
Our specific goal of carefully spanning this continuum fosters bridges between all phases of recruitment, preparation and careers. Practices to create relationships and mentoring by experienced, highly qualified teachers are in three phases.
Phase 1: Preparation
1) Expose potential teachers to learning & teaching in-field each term
2) Train students via interactive, inquiry and outcome-based methods
3) Prepare prospective teachers for keeping up with advances in physics, pedagogy and technology
• interactive teaching module
• use of technology,
• classroom organization,
• budgets, materials,
• interaction with students, personnel, parents,
• attitude, interests, cultural diversity,
• rigorous use of outcomes via pre- and post tests
Phase 2: Induction and Mentoring
Phase 3: Professional Development